Buying a home is one of the largest investments many make in their lifetime.
The Lawhead Team would like to share 9 tips to buying a home. If you are interested in purchasing a home, please remember to call The Lawhead Team, “Because Two Lawheads Are Better Than One.”
- Put a plan together – Estimate how much of a home you can afford, if any. Putting a financial plan together will help you plan to make sure you can truly afford a home
- Save for a down payment – Conventional loans require 20% of the home’s value down while you can apply for a Federal Housing Administration loan where the minimum is 3% down.
- Do your research – Be a smart buyer and research pricing, neighborhoods and more when buying your home.
- Check your credit – You can obtain a free credit report from AnnualCreditReport.com. If there are any errors on your report you must correct them before you start your mortgage process.
- Obtain pre-approval for your mortgage – This will help you determine what price range you can be in when buying a home.
- Hire The Lawhead Team as your realtor – Finding a quality realtor is incredibly important and The Lawhead Team has plenty of experience in the market.
- Get an appraisal of the home – An appraisal determines the market value of the property and will be used by your lender to determine the amount of your loan.
- Perform a home inspection – It is important not to get emotionally attached to a home before you have an inspection performed. Until a home inspector performs a detailed inspection on the home, it is impossible to know if the home has major structural damage which will end up costing a pretty penny down the road. Don’t blow off this step; a home inspection is incredibly important when home buying.
- Make an offer – Your Realtor will help you with this process when buying but the offer should include the price you are willing to pay for the home along with financing terms and contingencies.