House hunting? It is important to know what to look for.
Buying a home is usually the largest purchase an individual will make in their lifetime. The Lawhead Team would like to share some helpful tips to know what to look for when house hunting:
- Most important is location! You can always change the home and its looks, but you can’t pick it up and move it. Make sure you are house hunting in the neighborhood you want to be in. Do some research on your potential home’s location, how close it is to work, what kind of neighborhood it is in, noise from traffic and neighbors and so forth.
- How is the house situated on its lot? It if is on a hill, does it have a view? Are there steep stairs to climb? Is the yard suitable for children or pets? All these items are important to consider when choosing your home.
- Take time to cruise around the neighborhoods you are looking at. Do your neighbors keep their yard clean and tidy? Is there trash or inoperable cars around others yards? You will also want to make sure your neighborhood is safe for children, if you have any, to walk around and play in.
- Take note of your potential house’s curb appeal. Is the landscaping attractive? Will the home’s exterior need to be painted soon? Make sure the appearance of your home is one that you will not get tired of seeing day in and day out.
- Determine the size of the home you want. If your children are moved out and it is just you and your spouse, do you really need a 5 bedroom home? A large house can give you the extra space you’d wanted for a home office or craft room but keep in mind the higher heating bills and property tax bills.
- Make sure your kitchen is what you are looking for in a home. The kitchen is the main focal point of a home and a kitchen remodel is usually very costly. Is there enough storage? These items are important to consider when looking at a house to buy.