As a homeowner, it is important to keep your home looking and running its best.
The Lawhead Team would like to share some helpful and easy home maintenance tips that even the least handy person can do themselves!
- Lights flicker – Many times a bulb will be loose. If groups of lights flicker, connections at the electrical panel may be loose, causing the power to arc which can cause fires! Shut off the circuits in your home and tighten loose connections within switch boxes.
- Refilling toilet tank – If you hear your toilet refilling on its own, check the chain. It may be too tight preventing the flapper from fully sealing. If that doesn’t work, replace the valve and flapper inside the toilet tank.
- Musty odors in your home – Mildew may be growing in your home where condensation is forming. Basements are most common for mildew. Keep your surfaces dry and increase air movement with a fan.
- Smelly sink – disinfect your drain by pouring a bottle of hydrogen peroxide down the sink.
- Food spoiling too quickly in the refrigerator – Your refrigerator temperature may be off. Too high or too low of temperature will spoil your food. If your fridge doesn’t already have a thermometer, purchase one and make sure each shelf stays between 37-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Breezy in the house – If your home seems drafty and all the windows and doors are closed, check your window and door’s seals. Use caulking to fill in any cracks or holes that may be letting in cool or hot air.
- Change Your AC Filter – Dirty filters kill your AC’s efficiency, so install a new one in your home every month during the cooling season for central and window units (or clean them if you’ve got the washable type).