Garage door maintenance tips.
Your garage door is a vital component of your home, however so many of us seem to neglect or simply take advantage of the easy access a garage door creates.
Make sure you keep your garage door in perfect working condition with the following tips:
- Check Your Bolts – Visually inspect the bolts connected to your garage door and tighten any that are loose.
- Adjust The Opener – Make sure your automatic door opener is functioning properly. If it slams shut or pushes against the ground before it stops, your electric opener can be adjusted. In most cases, there will be a dial-or sometimes a screw-that allows you to adjust the up and down limits of your garage door.
- Lube Moving Parts – Use a lube-weather product from your local hardware store to keep your garage door opening and closing properly.
- Check Your Springs – If you lift the door halfway and the door pulls all the way up, your springs are too tight. If you lift your garage door halfway and the door falls to the ground, your springs are too loose. Consult with a professional to have the springs adjusted or replaced. You should not attempt to adjust the springs yourself, as they can be very dangerous.
- Wash The Door – Regularly wash your garage door to help prevent premature aging of the door.
- Check Weather Stripping – If your door’s weather stripping is falling off or cracked, apply a new weather stripping to ensure a strong seal. If your weather stripping is not making a strong seal, you are likely loosing heat-thereby costing your family money.