Preparing your home for the fall season.
The Lawhead Team would like to share some tips to preparing your home for fall and winter.
Fall is just around the corner and soon it will be time to start that fire in the fireplace and decorate for the holidays.
Here are 5 home maintenance tips to prepare for the fall months:
- Check for leaks – Cold air can get in around doors and windows during the fall. Use a flashlight to check for door and window drafts. If you notice a leak you should add weather stripping to doors and use caulking on windows. This is also a good idea to do during the summer to keep cooling costs down.
- Check smoke detectors – Replace your batteries every time fall and spring come around. So many fires are caused by Christmas trees so it is extremely important to check your smoke detectors to make sure they are working properly and can warn you in the event of an emergency.
- Check your heating system – Just as you want to do before summer starts for your AC unit, check your heater to make sure it is working before the colder months of the fall and winter set in.
- Check your watering schedule – As temperatures begin to cool, plants need less water. Adjust your watering schedule for lawns, borders, and containers. Pay close attention to containers as they tend to become waterlogged.
- Check to make sure your fireplace is ready for use – Make sure your fireplace is free of ashes and your chimney is cleaned out before having your first fire. You may also want to ensure your flu is open before lighting a fire if you closed it up over the warmer months. Nothing says Fall like a cozy fire in the fireplace.